Thursday, July 28, 2005

Quickie: The Killers, "Mr. Brightside"


Just thought I'd mention how much I like that single from last year, "Mr. Brightside." I guess it counts as a guilty pleasure, insofar as everything that gets played on MTV and "modern/alternative" radio pretty much sucks. Still, like the other 2 songs from last year that I similarly liked notwithstanding their general acceptance among the cretin crowd (i.e. Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out" and Modest Mouse's "Float On"), the Killers' "Mr. Brightside" is a damn fine song, no apologies needed. As I don't download singles as a matter of general principle, I picked up the entire album, Hot Fuss. I guess it's ok, but really wouldn't know since I only listened to it once. But, jeez, what a great song. Sure, it pretty blatantly rips off Bowie's "Queen Bitch" at one point, but, then again, if every song ripped off "Queen Bitch" the world would be a far better place. Worth it just for that one part in the second verse (which is the same as the first verse -- jeez, one good song, and they couldn't even come up with a different verse? Anyways...) when the music drops out and he says "It was only a kiss" in that vaguely distorted voice that probably sounds just like the Strokes (I'm guessing, as that's another band whose albums I picked up and never play). Ok, hey, just wanted to get this off my chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home