Saturday, November 26, 2005

Now Playing: Death Cab For Cutie, "I Will Follow You Into The Dark"

Death Cab For Cutie
As I noted a few weeks back, I wasn't quite as immediately enthralled by Death Cab For Cutie's 2005 major label debut Plans as I was by its immediate predecessor, 2003's Transatlanticism. But that doesn't mean I haven't been listening to Plans quite a bit, and, as I anticipated, it's really grown on me (though it still runs second to Transatlanticism in my book). Inexplicably, the song I seem to return to most often is the hushed, acoustic guitar-backed "I Will Follow You Into The Dark." I suppose I should chalk it up as something of a guilty pleasure, as the morbidly sentimental ode to love-after-death just reeks of dorm room banality... but damn if the song doesn't just suck you in nonetheless. The chorus manages to be just clever enough to rescue the song from the sappiness of a poem scrawled on the back of a notebook by a clove-cigarette-sucking unshaven faux revolutionary in a black turtleneck:
"If heaven and hell decide
That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs
If there's no one beside you
When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark"
I know I really, really shouldn't be taken in by this sort of thing, but I am.


Darwin
Incidentally, I read over my Saturday morning coffee that a California couple is suing some Berkeley professors for running an evolution-info website which dares to explain that evolution can, yes, be consistent with religion. "I believe God created the world," the aggrieved wife proclaims. (Just including this here for anyone who thinks all the fundamentalist wack-jobs are elsewhere (i.e. Kansas)... yes, we have our fair share even here in our sweet blue state of California.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home