Monday, April 24, 2006

Random Musings After An Inexcusable Absence

Nope, no excuses. Just not motivated lately. Plus, really haven't been spending my money on new releases, and how much do I want to blather on about reissues? But here we are.

Moody Blues
Tried to resist, but ending up blowing some bucks on a 2-cd remastered version of the Moody Blues' legendary Days Of Future Passed. Yes, the Moodies have their detractors, and their then-innovative use of an orchestra foreshadowed some of the excesses of the prog era. But this 1968 classic, however high the kitsch-factor may be, is still essential. Of course, I already have it on cd, and, though this is a special SACD release, I don't have an SACD player... but, nonetheless. Plus oodles of bonus b-sides on the second disc. Though most have come out before on various collections, they're actually pretty decent, and it's nice to have 'em in one place. A buncha live tracks from some '67 & '68 BBC sessions round out the collection -- again, nothing essential, but makes for a solid package.

Can't say I'll spring for the other SACD remasters, but if the dry spell of new releases continues, who knows.

Lips
I've had the new Flaming Lips cd on order for a couple weeks, and now it looks like it got lost in the mail. Shit! But I did see the video for "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" (yes, apparently they still show videos, at least if you're up in the middle of the night and have MTV-2), and it totally kicks ass. Not that most of the Flaming Lips songs don't kick serious amounts of ass, but this one's even goofier than most of 'em. Almost worth the insomnia. (Also caught some amusing videos from Cat Power and Of Montreal that night... some sorta indie rock video show reminiscent of the old and dearly missed 120 Minutes.)

Clash City Rockers
Kinda old news by now, but in case you missed it... British anti-terrorism police arrested a man on suspicion of terrorism for singing along with the Clash's "London Calling" in a taxi. Personally, I almost think the story is a hoax, which isn't entirely foreign to today's press corps, but in today's environment it seems as likely to be true as not.

Bush Chimp
And speaking of reactionary dipshits... Bush's approval ratings have hit a new low of 32%... Of course, though I like to think of myself as a glass-half-full kinda guy, I still have to wonder who these 32% of Americans are who still think he's doing a good job. Sure, you've got your contingent of flat-earthers who will support anyone who pledges to put Jesus in the classroom and gas the queers, but who else?

Journey Eats Children
Which brings us back to (a) how stupid some people are, and (b) music [yes, I know, that's what I should stick with in the first place]. Truly terrifying, and perhaps only marginally hilarious, story in today's San Francisco Chronicle about pathetic souls who swear by Journey's pain-inducing slab of evil Escape as the pinnacle of artistry. Definitely one of those stories that makes me embarrassed to live in the San Francisco area. Well, I've been here 15 years, and I still think Journey sucks. I pledge an oath to you, dear readers, that however much I will indulge in fits of kitsch and camp, be it Neil Diamond or worse, I will never, ever, have a kind word for Journey. Count on it.

2 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a good thing, about the Journey. I hear that kind of crap all the time also, and yeah, some people are zombies. I don't know what show you saw, but I do like VH1 CLassics show from 10-midnight on sundays, "alternative showcase" or something? Ah well, music like Journey will fade away in one hundred years or so, then people will see :)

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On this you and I are in complete agreement... my Seventh Circle of Hell is an endless Journey concert (with Styx opening.) Do you by any chance remember the Journey video game circa 1982 or so? A low point in music and gaming entertainment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home