Monday, September 29, 2008

Howe Gelb, 'Sno Angel Like You (2006)

I have to admit that I haven't really listened to much Giant Sand, Gelb's Tucson-based low-key Americana outfit that's been around for, like, a billion or so years. But I picked up his 2006 solo album awhile back on a lark, and, while it's pretty far afield from what I generally imagine myself enjoying, it's really grown into a personal joy for me. Gelb lays down a pretty dry, Lou Reed/Leonard Cohen-esque spoken-word sing-speak, backs it up with some sparse finger-picking and an occasional gospel choir, and manages to cobble together a handful of truly moving pieces that make you feel like you're hanging out on the deck of some backwoods shack down the street from the church with a headful of tequila. Or something like that. Doesn't make me want to run out and buy a lot of Tom Waits or anything like that, but I may have to give Giant Sand (who released an album earlier this year) another shot. Check it out.

Oh, and here's a little solo acoustic stuff...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home